Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Furlough Friday and Food for Thought

If you've been in a cave somewhere, you might not realize that the State of California is in a bit of a budget crisis. At the CSU, we're doing our part by taking a furlough, though paycut is more fitting, as our pay has been cut 9.25%, but not our workload. Well, not in any foolproof way, anyway. Essentially, we take 9 days off per semester, but the students, committees, etc., have not been cut 9.25%. Go figure.

I've got my third furlough day coming up this Friday, and while it's stressful -- trying to fit five days of work into just four and still do a good job for my students and my colleagues -- I'm reminding myself that there are a lot of folks who don't have jobs at all. Or are likely to lose them very soon.

When I remember that, the stress level eases quite a bit...

No comments: