Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mixin' Work and Play

I'm amazed at how much self-discipline it takes to live this freelance life. I'm currently still looking for telecommuting work, and am doing research for a few article pitches, and without specific deadlines hanging over my head, it's hard to do the work that needs to be done.
But, I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Today, I was even disciplined enough to get up at 5:00 and work for a few hours so I could leave the house at 8:30 on the bike to meet MS Global friend, Tammy Lucas, and her brother, Daniel, for a bike ride. Daniel and his wife, Sarah, are visiting from Idaho, and Tammy wanted to introduce me to them, so they came over here from Ft. Collins for a ride.
We met at Amante's, a coffee shop at the end of town, left Sarah there working on her computer, and took a great ride up to Jamestown. We returned to have lunch with Sarah -- and dessert! -- and then I came home and worked the rest of the day. Nice.
(Made good progress on a couple of projects, and am almost ready to pitch
a small article idea to a national magazine! Will send by Friday.)
Tammy, me, and Daniel after the ride behind Amante's.
This is why I want to make this freelance life work.
Finding a balance between work and play is not easy,
but definitely worth the effort.

No comments: