Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Chocolate Let-Down

Last week, my friend Carla sent me an e-mail with the subject line "The Most Dangerous Cake Recipe in the World." The recipe was for a 5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake, and essentially you put all the ingredients in a coffee mug, stir them thoroughly, and then nuke them in the microwave for three minutes. Why the most dangerous recipe? "Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake!"

Well, I tried it tonight after roommate Katie and I ate some great chicken enchiladas. It was exciting ... the thought that you could eat an ooey-gooey-hot-and-yummy chocolate cake in a cup with roughly five minutes prep was very enticing. And we were giddy like kids watching it cook (don't worry, Mom, microwave ovens don't put out waves that'll make me sterile anymore -- I don't think), as it went way above the rim of the mug, but then sunk back down as soon as the door was opened.

Alas, though, it seems that good quality still can't be had with so little work and time ... it tasted a bit rubbery. But the vanilla ice cream alongside was darned tasty!

No comments: