Monday, April 21, 2014

100 Days Project -- Day 23

Huh?



College students put in a lot of hours. During the semester, they are very likely to have very few days when they aren't doing some kind of school work -- reading, writing, gathering materials for reading and writing, and reading and writing some more.

This is a given, yes? And the majority of our students at Fresno State also work at least part-time AND many of them already have families.

That means they don't get a lot of down time while they're students.

This is kind of a bummer, but it's for a good cause, right? And there's an end in sight...when they graduate, though they'll still be busy, if they get the decent careers they're aiming for, they'll get time off. Actual days where they don't have to do their "career work" OR school work.

While they're in college, though, perhaps because they have to work so much, and get so little time off...they think their professors should also be working on the weekends and over vacations.

But what they don't seem to realize is that

this is my career.

I'm in it for 20+ years.

And I'm still working well into the evening on many weekdays. And more often than not, put in time on weekends and vacations, too. Yes, I know I have summers off, but you should see the list of things at work that I need to catch up on over summer.

Something's wrong here.

I believe I'm overdue to graduate.

No comments: