Tuesday, May 6, 2014

100 Days Project -- Day 38

Bragging Point

Tomorrow is the last day of classes before finals start next week. Since I have Tuesday / Thursday classes, I met with my last class for the last time tonight. It was CFS 134: Multicultural Perspectives on Children and Families, a class where we focus on improving cultural competence. All of my students will work with children and families in some capacity, so it's important that they learn a lot about the diversity in the Valley. One of the things they do is read this book.



I don't lecture on the book. Instead, the students are assigned to "Book Club Groups," and periodically throughout the semester, they are given time in class to gather in their book clubs to discuss what they've read so far. Additionally, they plan and create a "Book Club Project," which they submitted tonight. They were given basic content guidelines that mainly involve their personal reactions to the book, and could create a YouTube video, a PowerPoint presentation, or a Prezi presentation. I began offering the option of doing a YouTube video about 2 years ago, and have never had more than one group in a class create one. Again this semester, there was one YouTube video. You can watch it here.

Funny. Clever. Insightful.

They got an A.
And I got to giggle while I was grading.
Can't beat that.

No comments: