Wednesday, May 28, 2014

100 Days Project -- Day 60

Gettin' Stringy

I think I've cooked more in the week since graduation than I did all last semester. We're still sharing the kitchen duties, as Bob's been doing some killer barbeque, but if not the main dish, I've at least been contributing side dishes. Last night, it was a new twist on preparing fresh green beans. I LOVE green beans, and have been known to stir-fry an entire bag of frozen ones from Trader Joe's and finish just about all of them with my dinner. Mmm-mmm!

This recipe, though just a little more time-consuming than that, was REALLY good, and I'll definitely be making it again soon. It's from the April issue of "Cooking Light." What else?



PAN-CHARRED GREEN BEANS WITH TARRAGON *except that I used THYME*

Cooking spray *I used our olive oil spray bottle -- the only spray chemicals in the house are to keep my golden locks in place*
8 ounces green beans, washed and drained *if they didn't tell you to wash 'em, would you skip it?*
1 1/2 teaspoons butter *One of the reasons I love "Cooking Light" -- they use butter and STILL keep it healthy!*
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon *You can substitute parsley, chives or thyme...I used thyme*
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1. Heat a medium, heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat for 2 minutes. *If you have a fan above your stove, you'll wanna use it, unless you have time to wave a towel underneath your fire alarm for the duration*
2. Coat pan with cooking spray *spray olive oil*. Immediately add green beans to pan, shaking them into a single layer; cook, without stirring, 2 minutes or until beans are very lightly charred. Cook beans 5 more minutes or until crispy-tender and evenly charred, tossing occasionally.
3. Remove pan from heat. Let beans rest 1 minute. *They've had a hard day* Add butter; toss until butter melts and coats beans. Add vinegar; toss. Turn on heat if necessary to evaporate most of liquid. Sprinkle beans with tarragon *Did I forget to mention I used thyme?* and salt; toss. Serve immediately. *And with napkins, as you'll be licking your fingers!*

No comments: