Saturday, June 14, 2014

100 Days Project -- Day 75

Surprisingly Delicious

A few months ago, while looking through the cookbook section at Barnes and Noble for some Cooking Light Annual Editions that I don't have yet, I spotted a very visually appealing cookbook based on the paleo diet. Huh? I wasn't even sure what that was -- paleo diet -- but I liked the book's design and graphics, so thumbed through it for a bit. And left the store with it. Don't worry....I paid. 

This is the book, and the author with her family -- she talks a lot about them in the book. 
And there are even cartoon pictures of them throughout the book.
Cute, huh?
I'm not going paleo, but I am enjoying trying some of the recipes, and this week, I found a breakfast I really like. This is it, and it's surprisingly yummy. Of course, I ate it with sprouted multigrain bread, so I'm really not paleo, but whatever.

Furikake, Asparagus + Eggs

1 tablespoon ghee or fat of choice (I use butter, and only 1/2 tablespoon -- that's plenty)
6 - 8 thin asparagus stalks, trimmed
2 large eggs
Kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
juice from 1/2 small lemon (optional - I use it)
1 tablespoon furikake seasoning

Do This:
1. Arrange the oven rack 4 to 6 inches from the heating element, and preheat the broiler.
2. In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, heat the ghee over high heat. As soon as it's sizzling, remove the skillet from the heat and toss in the asparagus. Shake gently to coat the spears with the melted fat.
3. Crack the eggs into the skillet next to the asparagus spears, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place the skillet under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, cooking the eggs to your desired doneness. (I do them over-medium)
5. Remove the skillet from the broiler, and season with lemon juice.
6. Liberally sprinkle the furikake on the asparagus and eggs, and dig in.

***
The author describes furikake as "a traditional Japanese seasoning made of toasted sesame seeds, chopped seaweed, and dried bonito" and warns that most store-bought ones add a lot of sugar and MSG, so it's important to read labels. I found it at R-N Market in Fresno, an Asian market, and was able to find one with just a little bit of sugar. 

I've made the recipe twice, and I like it. Bob? He's not so impressed...but there's lots of cereal in the house. 

No comments: